Wednesday, November 13, 2013

NSCCD Summer Residency by Kelly Grant



Made in Nova Scotia November 2013 by Kelly Grant

Yes, it’s true; Sally and I spent an entire afternoon chatting about textile related things one Friday not too long ago.  I asked her if it was possible for us to set up a blog where we could all contribute, so that we’d know what everyone was up to and possibly could get together and work on some projects.  I have been feeling a little like I am lost in my own bubble sometimes, and am losing track of what other textile junkies are up to.  I told her that I’d contribute, and here is my first entry!

Summer Residency at the Nova Scotia Centre for Craft and Design

Every summer, the Centre for Craft and Design opens up their studios to artists in the form of a self directed residency program.  I applied this year and was accepted, my project plans were to weave linen textiles from the 18th and early 19th centuries.  I am an 18thC re-enactor, so this project has been in the back of my mind for a while. Over the course of the summer, I wove strapping to re-seat a couple of ladder backed chairs that we use re-enacting, tea towelling and dishcloths and the major project was to weave yardage for shirts and aprons.  I ran out of time before getting to my fourth warp, yardage for a tablecloth.  I ended up sharing the studio space with just one other textile person, who was creating needle felted sculptural items and doing some hand embroidery.  All the looms in the space were mine to use...oh, if only I could have cloned myself!

The shirt warp turned out to be quite the diva mistress.  I blazed through the strapping, towelling and dishcloths.  The shirt took me all summer to create.  I began on the July 1st weekend, winding on 15 metres of string onto the warping mill.  That took the better part of a week, as I was hoping to weave a plaid, so there was much counting to be done.  Then, the warp took me and several friends most of the month and many cans of starch to wind it on the back beam.  When I finally got it all on and not in a tangled mess, I walked in to weave the next morning and found that the warp had slid off the ends of the back beam and tangled itself.  I had been using paper to separate the rounds, not the greatest thing with this much warp.  After a temper tantrum of epic proportions, I pulled off what I could by winding it on to the front beam, cut the snarled mess that remained, and started to wind it on again, this time with lees sticks supporting the rounds.  I am now a convert to the lees stick and will wind all my warps that way from now on.

I managed to weave enough for a shirt for my husband Pierre and an apron for my mum or I to use when we are working around the re-enacting camp.  I hand stitched the shirt and finished it the night before the show was installed at the beginning of September.  As I put the finished shirt into the wash for one last test before installing it in the gallery, I prayed that I wouldn’t have a pile of string to install after all of our hard work.  I am happy to say that the shirt survived the wash and will now enter the second phase of the project, being worn by Pierre at encampments so that we can see how long a shirt might have survived in the field.

I have the remaining warp (that tangled mess) safely in a large Ziploc bag waiting until I have a loom of my own and space to untangle the mess.  I ended up using 15 cans of spray starch, after soaking the whole warp in a starch bath.  I think I needed so much starch because of the air conditioning in the studio.  I know my skin also went through a lot of hand cream over the summer!  I’m thinking that this project will have to wait until the weather is damp, and not too hot or cold as air condition and forced air heating could play similar havoc to a linen warp.  I would also like to see if I can get the warp to weave up tighter, I wasn’t quite happy with that issue, no matter how hard I beat done the weft threads.

You can read about all my weaving antics on my personal blog at http://kellyarlenegrant.blogspot.ca/

So, who’s going to be next?  We want to hear from you!

1 comment: